Do you want to give your videos that extra bit of polish, but don’t know where to start? Color grading can make a huge difference in the overall look and feel of your video. In this blog post, we will discuss where to find free LUTs (lookup tables) for color grading, and how to use them in your videos. At Gillespie Productions, professional video production is our specialty! When you come to us, we will take care of color grading. But, you can read on to learn more about the process.
Let’s get started!
What Are LUTs and Why Should You Use Them?
LUTs, or lookup tables, are a color grading tool that allows you to map one color to another. In other words, they let you transform the colors in your footage to create a specific look. LUTs are useful for commercial videography because they can be reused on multiple projects, and they’re a great way to match the color of different types of footage.
When choosing a free LUT, it’s important to consider what you want to achieve with your color grading. Do you want a vintage look? A modern look? A subtle change or a drastic transformation? Once you know what you want, choosing the right LUT will be much easier.
6 Main Types of Color Grading LUTs
- Transformation LUTs are the most basic type of LUT, and they simply map one set of colors to another. For example, you might use a Transformation LUT to convert footage from Rec. 709 to P3, or from log to linear.
- Viewing LUTs are designed to compensate for the inherent limitations of your display device. For example, most displays are unable to reproduce the full range of colors that can be captured by a digital camera. As a result, Viewing LUTs can be used to extend the color gamut of your display, allowing you to see more of the image’s potential color data.
- Calibration LUTs are created by measuring the actual output of a display device using specialized equipment. These LUTs can be used to achieve a very high level of color accuracy, and they are often used in post-production and color-grading workflows.
- Log Normalization LUTs are used to convert logarithmic footage (such as LOG C or S-Log) into a linear color space. This allows you to perform color grading operations on log footage without sacrificing quality.
- 1D LUTs are simple look-up tables that map input values to output values. Unlike 3D LUTs, 1D LUTs can only be used to adjust brightness levels; they cannot be used to adjust hue or saturation levels.
- 3D LUTs are much more complex than 1D LUTs, and they can be used to adjust all three dimensions of color (hue, saturation, and brightness). 3D LUTs are often used in high-end color grading workflows, as they offer the greatest degree of control over the final image.
Where to Find Free LUTs
Now that you know a little bit about LUTs, you might start searching for free LUT downloads. Here are a few places to start your hunt.
RocketStock has 35 free LUTs that you can use with Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Pro X, and DaVinci Resolve. Options include free vintage LUTs, free cinematic LUTs, and free LUTs for standard footage. This collection is a great starting point for video editors of all skill levels.
Lutify.me offers a variety of free LUTs for final cut pro and other editing software that is designed for use with LOG footage. If you’re working with LOG footage, these LUTs can help you achieve a more naturalistic look. You gain access to 7 LUTs when you sign up for a free trial with Lutify.me.
Shutterstock has 13 free cinematic LUTs available for free download. These LUTs are designed to give your footage a “movie look”, and they work with a variety of video editing software including Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, and After Effects. Cinematic LUTs are a great way to make your footage look more polished and professional. Plus, they’re fun to experiment with! Shutterstock is a huge name and its collection is a great place to start with free LUTs.
SmallHD has 7 free stylistic LUTs that you can use to give your footage a unique look. These LUTs are compatible with a variety of video editing software, and they’re a great way to add some personality to your videos. Stylistic LUTs are perfect for personal projects, or for videos that you want to post online. For example, you could use a LUT to make your footage look like it was shot on a Super 16 film.
LUTs are a great way to color grade your footage, and there are many places where you can find free LUTs for your video editing needs. By starting with a free LUT, you can upgrade your personal video projects.
All the top Wisconsin videography companies color-grade their footage. If you’re interested in video production services, Gillespie Productions is here to help. We have a wide range of video services and we offer free quotes.